Sunday, October 17, 2010

Shorts and Loafers

A fall weekend is rarely complete without a trip to J.Crew. Among the plush cashmere and light as a feather merino, I got momentarily lost in what felt like a visit to Barnes and Noble. The new preppy must have Take Ivy (complete with issue number out of a proclaimed 300 copies, fact or fiction being largely irrelevant) was the find of the month.

Originally published in Japan in the 60's, the revamped treat is bursting with inspirational photos and serves as a diary for the ages. (My coworker who cannot accept that the leather sleeved, felt body varsity jacket is a thing of the past would surely love to get this as a gift.) At my liberal arts college, which liked to call itself a 'little ivy", though I'm not sure what that really means, there were more sweatshirts than oxfords between the hours of 9am and 6pm. While I stand by my aversion to men's hairy legs, I can't completely condemn the madras and penny loafers when done so deliberately. I think ripping out page 11 and placing it behind my desk might be a nice reminder of what young men are capable of.

2 comments:

  1. What is so interesting about the pictures in Take Ivy (based on what I have read in the blogosphere) is that the students are not putting together some contrived ensemble. The gentlemen (I hear that the photographs were snapped at Princeton when it was still an all male school) are simply wearing what they considered normal, based largely on what their fathers and grandfathers wore. Buck loafers, oxford button downs with roll collars, madras shorts, rep ties, etc.. were worn so effortlessly to class, as if it was obvious that no one in their right mind would wear anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like this look except I wear my t-shirt untucked, and black ankle socks with my loafers :).
    But if the loafer fits like a glove I don't even need socks but maybe twice a week or when I plan a long stroll to avoid blisters.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your stylish comments here :)