Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Mid-Week Shopping Spree

From now on, by popular demand, Tuesdays will be reserved for whichever of the moment item that I myself, or those around me, are seeking. With a calendar full of holiday festivities, today's must have: the embellished party top.

No matter your age, your comfort level exposing your arms, or your desire to stick to a budget, there is a sparkly, ruffled, tiered or otherwise bedazzled top for you. To begin the catalogue are my wish-list finds. If it has sequins, chances are I want it. This J.Crew sequin, vintage inspired tank is amazing, but unfortunately, the price is not. Paired with trousers, denim, or black skinny pants, its a party all on its own. Another lustful piece is this DVF sequin tank, whose a-line shape makes it easy to wear for all sizes.

On to more foreseeable purchase options. This Alice + Olivia top is about the same price as a party dress, but more versatile since you can pair it with a multitude of bottoms for different looks. Plus the shoulder detail is reminiscent of the 1920's, my favorite fashion decade. For a more casual top with added elegance, this Project Alabama number at Anthropologie is sweet. The knit would lie nicely under a blazer or cardigan for those who don't do bare arms. For subtly, this J.Crew beaded, washed-silk taffeta tunic style top is irresistible. I've tried it on in the stores and it drapes like butter.

I am admittedly growing a tad weary of the Shakespearean ruffled collars that are persistently popping up on shelves everywhere. Though I own several myself at the moment, I need a hiatus from the look before I grab a wig and begin reciting a Midsummer Night's Dream. Ann Taylor has been showing many of these ruffled darlings, but has updated the detail for the holiday season with a less dramatic collar and more versatile silhouette, especially good for those who like a little sleeve. (Thanks in part to my weekly recommendations, AT reported profits for the 3rd quarter despite carrying light inventory and taking deep markdowns.) Before your next winter party, grab a little sparkle (or channel 90210 and go DIY with a bedazzler).

2 comments:

  1. Go to EvilMonito.com and read a very interesting article on fashion bloggers and their evolvig role in the industry.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your stylish comments here :)